Monday, December 12, 2005

Dollars to Tin Donuts I tell you!

I read in the paper this morning that there is a City Councilman in Laramie, Wyoming who is urging state lawmakers to lower the speed limit for semi-trucks on state highways. This Effing Idiot has obviously never driven Interstate 5 in California between Sacramento and Los Angeles. California has different speed limits for trucks and cars, and not only does it increase the congestion, but in my opinion, it makes the likely hood of dangerous and deadly vehicular intercourse far, far greater. This bill has already been tried once before, but thankfully, the Wyoming Department of Transportation and the Wyoming Trucking Association were able to keep it from happening. The Federal Highway Administration says that there isn't any difference in accident rates between states that have differential speed limits and those that do not. But let's look at it this way though, we have all been out there on the roads lately, and road rage isn't going away, I only see it getting worse. It's even happening in rural Wyoming. Some of the worst road rage I have seen has been on I-5, and what contributed? Long lines of cars trying to pass trucks that's what. Of course in California, people don't understand that the number one (left) lane is for passing and not for traveling in when you leave an urban area. Lowering the speed limit for trucks will only contribute to road rage, which makes the road more unsafe for everyone, because lets face it, some people out there, well, their heads aren't on straight when it comes to such things.

While I am talking about something that is related to Laramie, I gotta bring up the new Parking Structure that MUST BE BUILT at the University of Wyoming. It's been a long time coming, and the time is now, it will only become more expensive to build it the longer they wait. Governor Freudenthal is even pushing hard for it, he knows that's it's time to put up of shut up, as they have been trying to get it done for the last 20 years. The state finally has the money to do it, and it will only enhance the University environment. They keep talking about how they want to be a big time University, it's time to act like it! Face your problems and fix them! Parking can have only gotten worse since I graduated in 1998. They keep talking about student retention at UW, and how they need to do better. Laramie is a brutal place to live, to say the weather there is terrible is being nice. To say that there isn't much to do in Laramie is an understatement. Well, the way that I see it, they get all of these kids to go there, then they have to deal with those factors, and then on top of that, the parking sucks, I mean really sucks! I'd rather try finding a parking spot in San Francisco! All of these factors together, well, it makes you think about why you are really there. For me, well, I couldn't afford to go anywhere else, and to be honest, the UW College of Engineering is a good school (I put us ahead of the diploma factories in Palo Alto, CA and Lafayette, IN, yes, I am talking about Stanford and Purdue), so that is what kept me there. But what if your Mom and Dad have the $$$$ and you are in the College of Business or, GASP, getting an A&S degree there?? It would be damned tough to stick around. I have read that the new structure will be built on the site where the old Ivinson Hospital is located. Good! Get rid of it! Historical my ass! While they're at it, let them finish demolishing what's left of Fraternity Row. No one will really miss what's left over there. I'd bet Dollars to Tin Donuts that the previously mention city councilman is probably one of the ones who is opposed to this new structure. Dollars to Tin Donuts I tell you!

2 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Bf 109G-10 said...

I do not agree. Do not compare apples to oranges. CA has a population of 38 million give or take a half million and WY 425,000 - Congestion will never be a problem for Wyoming - okay Casper, Cheyenne, and Laramie has a rush for about 15 minutes. I sent Mike a long email expressing my side of the argument – maybe he’ll share it. P.S. 70% of the truck traffic is just passing through –

 
At 12:16 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Bf 109G-10 said...

How do you know what I know? What gave you that idea I didn’t know anything about trucking? So running a trucking spread that included 25 double belly's - 10 super 18s, leased semi-end dumps...hauling aggregate and concrete doesn’t count? (No Shit Mr. Beckhoff ) I didn’t spend three years working 90+ hours per week in Utah twiddling my thumbs. Staker, Raph Smith Trucking, and our own Kiewit trucks (All Teamsters! Are you one, Kacey?)

Why would dropping 10 mph hurt you in Wyoming on the Interstates (because if you understood the law in CA it doesn’t apply to every road) - Time? So the “over the road” trucks can cross Wyoming, make time, buy gas at stations that are not locally owned and leave? Congestion and the speeds of the trucks aren’t related – it’s called population if you didn’t pick up on that earlier.

Just so you know I lived in Wyoming for 24 years so I am not a Californian and I was talking to Mike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home